Sunday, September 27, 2009

Brian Clough - "The Damned United"

For those of you who have no idea who Brian Clough is, you are going to want to make sure and see this movie about the legend that was. The movie was released in the UK back in March, but it has only now made its way across the pond and opens in New York and Los Angeles on Oct 9th. Clough was a very confident and larger than life figure, optimized by his own quote "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one". I love that quote! I can't say I remember too much of Clough's career, but I do remember his final few seasons, and watching him finish his career at Nottingham Forest. I also took the opportunity to read his autobiography, which in my opinion is one of the read reads available, especially if you want to know more about what soccer in England was about from the 60s to the 90s. This includes a playing career at Middlesbrough and then management, which turned out to be his real calling! The highlights included a sparkling career at Derby, a short but memorable 7 game stint at Leeds before his move to Nottingham Forest. At Forest, Clough achieved the unimaginable by winning back to back European titles in 1979 and 1980.
I could keep taking about the legend, but I will let the book and movie give you the full details! The movie is called 'The Damned United" and will be released in the US October 9th, while the book is called "Clough: The Autobiography" available at Amazon, and believe me when I say this book is one of the best soccer reads out there!!



No comments: